Thursday, November 16, 2006

Irrelevant


BIG Notre Dame fan. Huge. But that does not mean I do not give love to the Fightin' Hoosiers of Indiana. A football team so irrelevant it hurts. Their football stadium is worse than most high school stadiums in Texas.

The Hoosier glory years were in the late 80's and early 90's. Winning seasons, regular bowl appearances. Great times. I guess to be fair 1967 was huge too. Their only Rose Bowl appearance. Where they played USC. OJ Simpson's USC. Blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes, right?

But this weekend, the mighty Hoosiers face their archnemesis Purdue for "The Old Oaken Bucket". Since when did we start making up stupid ass "trophies" for these rivalry games? I guess when you are historically terrible and irrelevant, you do what you can. This year, there are implications. If IU wins they are 6-6. That is potentially bowl eligible. If they win, well... still a VERY VERY VERY long shot of them getting a bowl, BUT IT'S POSSIBLE.

And that's something.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I'm a little confused...

The 1967 Rosebowl...PURDUE ousted USC that year. (your statement makes is sound like Indiana).

How do I know this you ask? Well...my uncle played for Purdue in that very game. Yup, his Rose Bowl Ring is at my parents house (he unfortunately lost his battle with MS a few years ago). He was punter and back-up quarterback for Griese. Very cool.

I'll let you see it sometime if you're nice to me. :)

(this is just so random. yes, i'm a sports fan...but i really don't know a lot of history facts. it's funny that you bring this one up that i truly do know something about!)

6:34 PM  
Blogger MD said...

For more on that amazing season:

http://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/genrel/111006aag.html

9:57 AM  
Blogger MD said...

Please see the above link.

The end of the 1967 season of Indiana, they played in the Rose Bowl against USC. That game, like many bowl games, was played in January of 1968.

Similarly, Purdue played and beat USC at the end of their 1966 season. That game was also played in January of the subsequent year. So it was played in 1967.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

okay, okay...gotcha

10:54 AM  
Blogger MD said...

PS: Awesome about your uncle!

First off, playing in that game would be sweet. Second, they freaking won! Third, I love Indiana schools (even though I may not be in live with them, hah). Fourth, Bob Griese was born and raised in my hometown of Evansville, Indiana. He's a hall of famer you know!

I think I wanna touch it. The ring sicko, the ring.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home