Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I hereby warrant that warranties are warranted.


See that baby over there (->)? While not mine, I have one similar. So do you. Yes, it's a hot water heater. A little eyesore that we try to hide in our garages or basements or closets. Now I agree that it is an eyesore, but what a necessary evil it is. You don't appreciate these little wonders.... until yours breaks. Like mine did. Ugh.

While this sucks and I hate not having hot water and having to mooch of Her or Her parents to get a warm cleansing, all is NOT lost. In fact, victory is mine!!!

Home warranties, my friends, are a godsend. NEVER EVER, EVER buy a house without buying one or, preferably, having the seller buy one for you. They cost between $200 and $400 depending on the coverage. Mine cost the seller $350, I think, and it covers pretty much all appliances and electronics in my house, at the nifty price of a $100 deductible. This warranty lasts for 1 year from the date of purchase of the home.

I have made three claims so far on things in my house.
1) Not every button on my dishwasher worked. Paid $100 and got a $250 part and the services to fix it and put it into tip top shape.
2) My AC was not up to snuff. Got a tech out and he recharged the fluids and inspected. It cost me $80 for the house call. So the warranty didn't help me there.
3) Said water heater. Tech came out, said it was a cheapy alot of builders use/used and that they are troublesome. He was going to recommend to the warranty company that it needed to be REPLACED. A brand new, contractor grade water heater ($1200 installed) for the nifty price of a $100 deductible. Advantage, Mike.

So headache notwithstanding, Daddy gets a new water heater. And I couldn't be happier.

So with that, I hereby warrant that warranties are warranted. Don't get a home without'em.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

(I just like the title of this post)

but, I do know that it sucks to replace a water heater...happened to me after my home warranty expired...blech.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Wrestling Kitties said...

I love this title - very nice!!

Well as an individual who may be in the market for a house, this is very good to know!

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home