Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Engaged in Blogging

Yeah, that's right. Back, right here, for your reading pleasure is the new and improved 10 Cents! The 10 cents brought to you by Her fiance. For the whole story, visit Her blog, linked ->.

But back to the topic at hand. No, not her hand. You know the one. It is presently encumbered by a sparkly little number, second finger from her left. NO the topic at hand is my title. The future Mr. Her? Nope. The former Notorious M.E.D.? Nope. The presently elated betrothed? Well, yes, but more importantly, I am Her fiance. She is my fiancee. This became of great import to me some 8 years back in an etymology class (that's the origin of words ya'll, not the study of bugs, that's entomology).

Fiance (pronounced Fee-ahnce): a man engaged to be married.

Fiancee (pronounced Fee-ahn-sey): a woman engaged to be married.

And don't tell me what the dictionary or dictionary.com says. Dictionaries of collections of popular usage of words. Jargon, slang, and other crap pervades dictionaries. Use a word incorrectly enough and it makes it into the dictionary (see irregardless, hisself, ain't, octopi, McMansion, and McJob). A TRUE source for words is a USAGE Dictionary. A usage dictionary discusses the proper use of words that stem from particular latin (or other) roots and origins and are not mere words used by the popular masses. Speaking of the masses, let's keep in mind half of our population is of below average intelligence. When I let that half dictate how I speak, please shoot me.

I was told saying fiance versus fiancee sounds pretentious. Well color me pretentious then, because that's the color of correct. Because irregardless of all them people daydreamin of McMansions from their McJobs, I ain't gonna talk all wrong and stuff.

Mr. Fiance, I am, I am. If you prefer, you can just call me happy. Or pleased. Or both. Because we're gooooing to the chapel and weeeeee're goooonnnaaaa get maaaarrriiiieeed.

Her fiance,
Mike

10 Comments:

Blogger Malissa said...

congrats to you both! what an extremely exciting new chapter and a great engagement story to boot.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Wrestling Kitties said...

haha! First, congratulations/best wishes/happy engagement to you both!!

So T. did not like any of this fiance/fiancee crap. He didn't want to be called fiancee either because it is for a women but he hated fiance because of the way it sounded. So basically I either called him by his name or refered to him as my soon to be husband.

Most of the time during our 15 month engagement we just kept it simple and didn't even refer to each other as fiance/finacee - I could never get use to it because I knew it wasn't permanent. I am MUCH happier saying my husband and hearing him refer to me as his wife! (you can't confuse that, LOL)

4:56 PM  
Blogger Ky • twopretzels.com said...

I'm laughing.

I love your posts.

(Congrats again, my friend.)

5:09 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

YAY, YAY, YAY!!!

We really didn't use either of those terms during our engagement either. Don't know why? They are both sorta' silly if you ask me.

6:41 PM  
Blogger MD said...

Indeed they are. I will assuredly use fiancee out of ease, but I prefer "the ring bearer". Wait, what? A little to Lord of the Rings for you? Too bad my love, you are going to have to watch those movies with me eventually. It is your duty as my lifemate.

Too bad I had to marry you to get you to watch them. I keeeeeed, I keeeeeed. Love me. Love, Me.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Mickey D. said...

Dear Fiance,

This ring IS my precious!

And so are you.

(Hopefully I used that in the right context??)

Love,
Your Fiancee

9:20 AM  
Blogger MD said...

The context was so right I am choking up.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

To add to your terminology (per you)...

I have officially been dubbed Bridesmaidzilla.

And, I love it. Please use it accordingly.

Look Out!

8:11 PM  
Blogger MD said...

Everyone. Do me this favor. Close your eyes (not not YET, after you read this. Duh)and imagine a city with tall buildings. And people, little people, average height about five feet. They're everywhere. There are bikes, rickshaws (sp?), mopeds, and segways everywhere. Then watch as these people shake in their boots at the rumbling and sounds of:

BRIDESMAIDZIRRRAAAAA!!!!

*Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

RUN for your rives!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I have no comment.

I'm just laughing hysterically.

(and sticking my tongue out at you)

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home