Thursday, November 16, 2006

A Hundred Highways


American V: A Hundred Highways

Johnny Cash's CD. The last one he recorded (until he goes all Tupac on us). What an amazing CD, I cannot stress it enough.

Let me start with this: I do not think Johnny Cash has a good singing voice. I do not think he was a superb technical musician. I think his songs are written in simple terms to tell his stories. They are not always good stories. But I'll be damned if he isn't one of the most praised American musicians off all time. Rightfully so. If I had a million words I doubt I could explain his appeal and his legend status, but I totally agree with it. Perhaps it's the catchy melodies. Or the "legend" of the Legend. Maybe it is the unique voice and sound.

So now you know my bias towards supporting The Man in Black and the internal struggle it causes me. Because I cannot explain it.

Back to the CD at hand. Amazing. It is moving in a way few, if any, CDs have ever moved me. Now people say this all the time. You know the people, Crash by Dave Mathews moved them and changed their lives. No. It didn't. It is something you associate with certain memories and events like getting stoned and drunk with the then-love-of-your-life. So I do not say such things lightly. It.Moved.Me.

The combination of Johnny's cracked and elderly voice with somber songs is absolutely depressing, in a good way. How can it be good? Because you can hear in his voice the storms he has weathered. His graciousness for leading a very full and very blessed life. You can hear that he knows his time is up. In this CD, he is making his peace with the world. He was thankful for every up and every down. He was thankful to his maker. He gave one last tribute in honor of the love of his life, June Carter Cash. The man knew his wearied body and soul was soon to shuffle off this mortal coil and he went out the only way he knew how. Telling his story through song. And you can hear it in every note. And that's what moved me. Bravo Johnny, bravo. You will be missed.

Songs I most definitely recommend from the CD: If You Could Read My Mind, Help Me, Rose of My Heart

4 Comments:

Blogger Mickey D. said...

I agree with everything you said. And I can do that because you let me borrow the cd.

It is definitely a moving tribute to his life and heartfelt thank you to everyone.

I will forever get chills when I hear the remake of the Nine Inch Nails song. I know it's not on this cd, but it's awesome.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I LOVE JOHNNY CASH. I have for many years. He is on the top of my list...and you're right, he isn't necessarily the greatest talent out there, but there is just something amazing about him, his voice.

Nearly every night, I listen to him before I go to bed. Lights out, iPod set to Johnny only.

I'm sad that I do not have this CD, nor have I heard it. I've been very content with my box set and the American IV, The Man Comes Around. (It's the one with many covers, like the NIN one, M).

woah MD...common ground...

6:23 PM  
Blogger MD said...

This just in:

I hate Johnny Cash.


(I keeed, I keeed)

9:10 AM  
Blogger Ky • twopretzels.com said...

I immediately went to iTunes to read the other reviews of this CD you speak of -- they reveal the same opinions:

Not the most amazing voice, but one rich and filled with emotion.

(I bought his greatest hits on iTunes yesterday... I have a feeling that this recomendation is my next purchase.)

Thanks for this.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home