Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Candy in Me

My mom, Candy, is about the most resourceful person I know. Need tickets to a sold out event? She can make it happen. If not, she'll get you an autographed headshot. Want a week in the Caribbean? Done. It's really amazing. How does she do it? Persistence, persistence, persistence. Oh, and a stubborn streak that refuses to let accept a "No". It's like the word "No" is filtered in her head to mean ask again later. Ten times. Her biggest issue, and possibly the greatest source of resourcefulness (read: getting free/comped/etc. stuff) is that when someone tells her they will do something, they damn well better do it. If they don't do it, do it late, or do it wrong? Hell hath no fury like my momma scorned.

So here I sit, finding myself scorned from a lot of unrealized promises from Home Depot. We decided to re-carpet three rooms in our house. Two of the rooms (white and pink carpet) were detested by yours truly. The other room (grey carpet) was detested by the wife. When I first moved in and after our wedding, we could not afford to do anything about these eyesores. Then lightning struck and HD ran a special for a flat fee install of carpet on two or more rooms. Perfect! So a few weeks back we made our carpet choices and took the plunge. Once the carpet was ordered, we were told to await a call from the installer to set up the installation time and date.

Here is where things get dicey. The install fee does not cover carpet removal and disposal. Given the short window of time, two weeks ago I removed the carpet and pad from two of the three rooms. I removed alot of furniture and began cutting the carpet in the third room. We were waiting for the installer to call with a date and time before removing the carpet from the last room (it's our living room).

We were told the carpet would be in on the 15th. The 15th came and went with no call. The 16th passed much the same. So we called HD. They informed us the carpet should be getting in on the 20th and that we should expect a call the 25th or the 26th. The 25th has come and come with no call. And here I sit on the 26th at 10 a.m., and still no call. My patience has worn thin. Our house has been a wreck for two weeks. There is still hope that we could get the call in the next 6 hours. I'm not holding my breath. If I don't get the call? HD is going to see the Candy in me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mickey D. said...

Hello free carpet and a $500 shopping spree to the Depot!

11:18 AM  
Blogger MD said...

Round 1 of ass chewing complete. Sort of. I got some poor associate at first. I realize it was not the man's fault, but he had the misfortune of answering.

As expected, he shuffled me off to "the person who deals with installation". I received that person's voicemail and left a rather gruff message with a request for a call back. We will see if that happens.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home