Friday, August 01, 2008

Calling All Dorks!

As some of you may know, in December 2007 Amazon.com purchased a hand-written copy of "The Tales of the Beetle Bard". What is Beetle the Bard, you ask? JK Rowling referred to this book in the final Harry Potter book. Beetle Bard is a book of fairy tales that eventually play a role in the HP series. Amazon.com paid 1,950,000 pounds (it went to charity) for a copy of the book. Apparently Ms. Rowling hand wrote six or seven copies of the book with most of the copies going to friends and people she wanted to thank for their help and/or support over the years.

After purchasing the book, Amazon.com politely posted some images of the book and a brief synopsis of each story (as seen here).

It was just a matter of time before Amazon.com (or someone) convinced Ms. Rowling to loosen her grasp on the copyright and allow the Beetle Bard to be mass produced. And such loosening has occured! Because Ms. Rowling is a billionaire, the net proceeds from the sales of Beetle Bard go to charity.

So if you, like me, are a Harry Potter-phile (aka a dork), head on over to your favorite book store and buy a copy of The Tales of the Beetle Bard on December 4, 2008 (just in time for X-mas...). OR if you are lazy, like me, buy it online. Amazon.com has the standard edition here for pre-order for $7.59, or you can pre-order the Amazon.com exclusive Collector's Edition here for a cool, even $100.00.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Oh my gosh!!!!

I'll take one for Christmas :)

Tell Mickey D...we're always searching for the perfect gift for each other!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Mickey D. said...

I will buy one $100 book for one of you and then you can make copies of it for the other.

We'll have a competition to decide who will receive the leatherbound copy.

12:23 PM  
Blogger MD said...

There is no competition. I am taking you to the Grand Cayman Island.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Wrestling Kitties said...

ugh, you really are a step ahead...I was so excited I thought I got to it first. It was that damn application you had me work on - took away from being online!

I am SO pumped about this and I really think I can justify to terry to purchase the $100 book. I will just be like, it is so flipp'n cool - that's why I want it! If not, I got two parents who will get us this kind of stuff in a heart beat, they are a sucker to our dorkiness. It's in the bag ;)

4:01 PM  
Blogger MD said...

Damn you! I have nothing of the sort in the bag. To be fair to me (and my slave driving), I knew of the book (and talked to wifey about it) YESTERDAY. I discovered it on Amazon and they were uber-slow getting the email notification out.

Here are the arguments justifying said purchase (ahem wifey, ahem):

1) Books like this are art.
2) Books like this have and will appreciate in value.
3) It looks really effing cool.
4) It would make your day/year/life.

(Here's hoping)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Dri said...

I had no clue.

EXCITING!!

(I posted this exact comment on WK's blog, but felt out of fairness that I should post it here, too... since you were the FIRST to actually blog about this.)

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home