Monday, June 30, 2008

The Thank You Date

In addition to everything the wife said in her blog entry here, a few other interesting things happened that day.

A first for me at the blackjack table: Some clod sat down and got $100 in chips. He proceeded to bet $70ish dollars on the first hand. He won. He let the whole amount ride. He lost it all. He bet what he had left. He blackjacked. He bet it all. He won. He bet it all again. He won. He bet it all again (over $300) and lost and he just walked away. There is gambling, and then there is whatever the heck that guy was doing. I was dumbfounded.

Another first for me at the blackjack table: A guy to our left was dealt two 6s with the dealer showing a 5 (a classic "bust" card). After some cajoling by someone at the table... ok, it was me.... he split the 6s. I hate the "that guy" handing out advice at the blackjack table, but THIS guy needed some "expert" persuasion. After said 6s were split he was dealt another 6. So he splits that. Then he is dealt.... ANOTHER 6, and he split that. That left him four hands to bet each with a starting card of 6. Given that the dealer had a "bust" card out, he was sitting in a decent spot. He ended up getting a 5 one of the hands giving him an 11, a classic "double down" bet against a "bust" card. So he doubles his bet and gets a 10 to equal 21. All told the guy had five bets down on four hands. The dealer busted and he won every damn one of them.

On the way home from the in-law's house, the wife and I were regaling ourselves with the triump of working over Greektown and how we came home with four perfect tires. And what do I see in the rearview? The spinnings reds and blues. Freaking cop. Apparently I took a rolling stop at a stop sign. "Why period when you can comma?" is my motto. The cop disagreed. He was really staring at me alot as he asked about my record. He then asked for my license and my license only. This was looking up. When he came back to the car HE apologized to ME for taking so long and sent us on our way with a verbal warning. The stars were aligned this night. My guess is he was on DUI patrol since it was so late and in a neighborhood, but once he realized there were no drunks, he let me slide. It was almost 1 a.m. afterall. Thank you Officer Whoeveryouare, I appreciate the politeness and warning. It capped the evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home